- July 21 1959 the Boston Red Sox become the last team to debut a black player when Elijah "Pumpsie" Green appears in a game as a pinch-runner and shortstop. Green's debut with Boston comes 12 years after Jackie Robinson's historic debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- July 21 1969 Major League Baseball celebrates the national pastime's centennial anniversary with a gala banquet at the All-Star Game. The festivities include the announcement of an all-time team. Hall of Famer Babe Ruth is voted the "Greatest All-Time Player." Another Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio is selected the "Greatest Living Player."
- July 21 1970 San Diego Padres manager Preston Gomez lifts starter Clay Kirby for a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning even though the right-hander has a no-hitter in progress. With the Padres trailing 1-0 Gomez decides to play for the win instead of letting Kirby finish. The Padres eventually lose both the game and the no-hitter. Gomez would repeat the mistake in 1974.
- July 21 1988 the New York Yankees make the infamous "Ken Phelps Trade" with the Seattle Mariners. The Yankees acquire the veteran first baseman/DH for promising outfield prospect Jay Buhner. Phelps will remain with the Yankees for parts of only two seasons while Buhner will emerge as a star reaching the 40-home run mark in 1995 '96 and '97. Even Seinfeld questioned this trade . . .
- All credit goes to The Baseball Page
Some fun tid bits for you guys on this hot day.